Deep Living Digest // 08.21.2010

Pines in misty forrest, deep living digest

Editor’s Note: The Deep Living Digest appears (most) every other Saturday at The New Pursuit. It captures and shares some of the best content out there on the intersections of life, nature and being — what this blog is all about. Interested in submitting a link? Please reach out to me on Twitter. Want to get future editions of the Deep Living Digest delivered right to you? Take a few moments to subscribe to The New Pursuit via RSS or email. Many thanks.

LIFE

Last night, I attended the wake of the son of a colleague of mine. He (the son) was in his early forties and his death, while natural, was sudden and unexpected. The experience was an important reminder to live each day deeply, embracing all beings, all places and all experiences that allow us to grow within, as Thomas Berry puts it, the Community of Life.

NATURE

Sustainability is the key theme this time around. From our food to our water to our energy. It is undeniable that humans are living beyond their resource means, tipping the natural balance and harmony of this giving Earth. And while small things help put into motion a greater collective change, the reality is we have a long way to go to reach that critical mass of action. All the more reason we must endure and demonstrate great resolve.

BEING

I’ve recommitted myself to making sure I meditate EVERY day. Maybe you meditate too; or pray; or just find quiet time to relax. What you are doing is not as important as ensuring that you just DO it. Being able to put yourself first in this way is not selfish. Rather, I think sticking to this kind of self-development practice can only benefit others ten-fold. By helping ourselves first, we can help so many others.

EDITION EXTRA: Embracing Peace

A number of stories I’ve read of late (like this) has me feeling like humans — and in particular my fellow Americans — are far from realizing the errors of their ways. Many involve politics and religion — two platforms where hatred seems to flow so easily. Anything that involves identifying with one group or ideology over another opens up the door for this kind of behavior. It’s so sad.

Why do humans, driven by culture and ideology, believe that there has to be just ONE way to do everything: to live, to vote, to believe, to love, to just be. It is only when we accept that there can be more than one means to the same end will we ever begin to move forward and realize the change that needs to happen.

[image: mindfulness]

Comments
8 Responses to “Deep Living Digest // 08.21.2010”
  1. Raam Dev says:

Hey Bill,

Another great Deep Living Digest! This series has really been inspiring me to start collecting blog posts that resonate with me so that I can share them with others — it’s such a great way of spreading valuable content. I’m going to start sharing something similar with my email list every Sunday, so thanks for the inspiration!

Oh, and thanks for including my post here! :)

Hey Raam // So glad to be able to help in some small way. The way I see it — with so much mainstream news full of doom and gloom, it’s good to have some positivity every now and again. Your writing and message is a perfect fit. Be well!

3. Majeeda says:

As well as being thankful for the mention, I agree this is a great way to share those links to articles that you find interesting or empowering. There is so much great stuff out there isn’t there? I saw the free shop earlier and have already spread that one far & wide.

Paul Lamb’s ‘Vacation from Violence’ is good too. Did you notice the link someone had put in the comments section: http://www.visionofhumanity.org. It’s ranking the world with GPI – standing for Global Peace Index rather than I’ll be spending some time there I think. Really, really interesting site which I never knew about before.

Majeeda // I had not noticed that on the first go-round. Though, on closer inspection, I LOVE it. Looking at the roll-up of the scores (http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi-data/#/2010/scor) it is interesting to compare countries you think might score well vs. what their actual score is. Australia does very well. Right up there with Canada and Iceland, among others. :)

5. Lynn Fang says:

Bill, wonderful list of resources. Thank you for including my link! This series is quite powerful and has inspired me to create my own, thank you for that as well. Hope you have a great weekend!

Thanks, Lynn. Your post on how gardening touches the deepest levels of our being was awesome — well worth sharing with as many people as possible.

The more good, inspiring stuff out there, the better. Good luck — can’t wait to see/read what you come up with. Be well!

7. Amanda says:

What a wonderful list of great content online. I’m always discovering new and fantastic blogs, and can’t get enough! Keep them coming! (But, oh so much to read)
    Thanks for the link love, too ;)

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ali Dark, Bill Gerlach. Bill Gerlach said: [NEW POST] Latest Edition of the Deep Living Digest http://bit.ly/bE58dT #livesimply #nature #eco #peace #enlightenment [...]