Deep Living Digest // 08.07.2010

Pines in misty forrest, deep living digest

Editor’s Note: The Deep Living Digest appears every other Saturday at The New Pursuit. It captures and shares some of the best content out there on the intersections of life, nature and being — what this blog is all about. Interested in submitting a link? Please reach out to me on Twitter. Want to get future editions of the Deep Living Digest delivered right to you? Take a few moments to subscribe to The New Pursuit via RSS or email. Many thanks.

LIFE

There is an interesting trend happening in the blogosphere: Calling the question on just what it is we’re doing (or not doing) to truly make a difference in our life and the lives of others. Perhaps it’s a cleansing; a way to filter out the noise; or just a campaign to root out ‘posers’. Not sure. Funny how things ebb and flow. That said, the movement towards reconnecting with the essence of life continues on.

NATURE

Perhaps humanity is starting to pass judgment on itself. With each passing week there seems to be more and more news about the ill-effects the planet is suffering at our hands. But when will it sink in? When will awareness reach a critical mass to drive change at all levels of society? I find solace in the amazing words of eco-beings such as Gary Snyder.

BEING

There continues to be such an amazing call to turn inward; to examine every nuance of who we are as a pathway to inner change. So much amazing content out there. It is quite inspiring.

[image: mindfulness]

Comments
11 Responses to “Deep Living Digest // 08.07.2010”
  1. Sandi says:

The phrase “walking the talk” came to mind as I read through this list of posts. I learned early on as a coach that this was essential to the growth of my life and business, as well as the difference I wanted to make with my clients. Walking the talk takes courage and I don’t always want to, but if I truly want to make a difference it’s the only way to go. Walking the talk is also where the juice is for me; it’s where I get to experience life and when I write from there I feel way better about what I write and people connect. Every time that happens it gets a little bit easier to walk my talk the next time.

Sandi // You are absolutely right — it is walking the talk. Perhaps that is the Great Filter for all that content out there; all of those resources that are at our fingertips. Those who walk the talk will survive the Burst of the Blogging Bubble.

It makes me think about why it is so hard to do that though. Fear? Inconvenience? Just too much of a challenge? The proverbial shit hasn’t hit the fan enough personally? Not sure.

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it. Be well!

3. Lynn Fang says:

Bill, thanks for the link!

@Sandi + Bill, I often have trouble walking the talk myself, hard as I try to. It does get easier the more I do it. I find my greatest impediment is fear – of social stigma, of criticism. I just watched No Impact Man last night, and 6 months into their journey towards no impact lifestyles, Colin’s wife starts talking about how her coworkers are not only critical of them, but they seem to actually hate Colin + no impact family. I think I’m most afraid of this situation, where people actually hate me. Logically it doesn’t seem that bad, but actually doing it/facing it is something else.

Thanks for the great links!

Lynn // It takes a lot to share like you did — thanks. It does get easier with time and experience. Case in point: As part of the commitment I made in the Challenging the Throwaway Culture of Convenience post, I’ve put together a small personal “Leave No Trace” kit that I take to work with me. Part of this involves my own reusable plate that I use in our cafeteria. The first time I asked the person behind the counter to make the sandwich on there instead of the throwaway paperboard one, I did have a bit of fear welling up inside of me. Fear in an ego sense. It sounds ridiculous, but it was true. Now I do it without thinking — and the guys behind the counter actually oblige me in a bit conversation about why I was using it!

Is is hate or just misunderstanding? If I look back on the conversations I’ve been able to start (the seeds planted?) because of some ‘crazy’ thing I was doing, I am optimistic that they have been beneficial in helping the greater good move forward.

Stick to your guns. :)

5. Ali Dark says:

It’s kind of amusing that in the end some of us will get more real as an excuse to blog about it :)

Still, whatever gets our ego away from the screen and into the world.

6. Lynn Fang says:

@Bill, Awesome! I would love to see your ‘leave no trace’ kit. Thanks for the encouragement.

@Ali, I think that is definitely happening. I feel pressure from blogging to do what I say I’ll do, and it’s a good thing. It pressures me to really think about what it is I’m doing, and why I’m not where I want to be (what are my impediments and how can I break through those?) Oh yeah, and blogging definitely sucks me in until I realize the real world provides true nourishment and life.

7. Sandra Lee says:

Bill, Sandi, and Lynn – I too am keeping on eye as to whether I am “walking the talk.” It’s impossible to be perfect and I think it’s also important to not dive into feeling guilty. Fear is an issue for me too. It’s easy to talk to my friends on these topics, but harder when it comes to more mainstream people. All interesting challenges. I just wrote a post today on the very question of how far we need to go to implement real changes.

Bill, I am honored to be included in your links above. I loved writing “Be Wisely Selfish” and the community at the Bold Life was so loving and appreciative. It was a powerful experience for me.

Thanks for continuing the dialogue.

8. Sandi says:

For me walking the talk is directly linked to one of my core values, integrity. It helps keep me focused and sane when I fall into the comparison trap or worrying about what someone will think. When I accepted the fact that my integrity was more often out than in (ie: not walking my talk) it gave me a lot of freedom. It reminds me of when I started meditating; noticing how much more I was focused on the thoughts than my breath. Now I notice when my integrity is out, and all there is to do is put it back in and get back to the joy of walking my talk.

@Everyone // Wow, this is so great. I absolutely LOVE the power of dialog. Thanks so much for sharing and pushing the discussion forward.

All this talk reminds me of a post I wrote awhile ago on the search for authenticity in a fabricated world. There had been such a collision of happenings then that was causing me to really question the value that all this online and offline stuff was bringing to my table.

At the end of the day, I guess there is an element of trust involved. Trust in the people writing; trust in the insight that espouse; trust in the resulting dialog. If we can all help each other push ourselves towards this authenticity, we can all reap the benefits and build beautiful new communities in the process.

10. Lynn Fang says:

@Sandi, That’s a great way of looking at it. Instead of focusing on fear, focus on building integrity. Follow one rule: when integrity is out, put it back in.

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ali Dark, Bill Gerlach. Bill Gerlach said: [NEW at The New Pursuit] Deep Living Digest // 08.07.2010 http://bit.ly/c8K9nb #livesimply #nature #eco #enlightenment [...]